Recreating Dior's New Look: The day dress

vintage navy dior dress


vintage, couture day dress, dior 1940s

navy dior day dress

navy couture day dress 1940s

           At the begging of this month while researching the late 1940's and early 50's I came across this beautiful dress on auction at Christies and I just new I had to have it. While I am unemployed and a recent arts graduate the £4000 separating me from this original Dior was an unattainable dream. After doing some pattern research I came to the conclusion that I won't find any pattern quite like this out there and that I would have to take my big leap and attempt to draft the pattern from scratch.
(something I have never done before) After gaining confidence and tips from fellow sewing bloggers on Instagram and a lot of zooming in on the photo I decided to start my mock up.

day dress dior,
Add caption


It took me a couple of adjustments to get it right. The basic pattern I used for my bust to waist ratio just never seems to be correct and I had to take in about 2inches either side at the waist to give it slightly more shape.

For my fabric I didn't have much choice seeing as my one and only cheap fabric market stall only had 1 colour of lightweight coat wool in this lovely dark navy! (I thought I struck gold; 4m for £12!)

Here are a couple of photos of the dress in progress, the longest part had to be piecing 44 skirt panels together.

My sew along videos are awfully poor, as I am always more interested in getting the dress done and dusted (just like this blog post) so I was wondering whether I should release some sewing patterns for it? Who know's we shall see..

The basic bodice pattern cut with a princess seam
basic pattern meets lapel and buttonhole variation
The 44 panels await their fortune


 Thanks for reading


Dior day dress, 1940s ,london


Comments

Popular Posts